Dates back to 1812 when its first congregation gathered to build a small, wooden church on the corner of Columbia’s Gervais and Sumter streets. The church was completed in 1814, but by 1845 well known architect Edward Brickell White had been commissioned to create a more elegant edifice. White modeled Trinity after England’s Yorkminster Cathedral.
Trinity’s famous graveyard has several South Carolina Revolutionary War and Confederate offices buried there.
Remarkably, Trinity Episcopal was spared in Sherman’s March of 1865. Sherman was a Roman Catholic, so Trinity was disguised to match this denomination. Its Episcopal symbols were taken away and in their place paper-mache crosses were added to the roof.
In 1971, Trinity Cathedral was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.